Collecting tips: a series
From Christine Bell: My personal mantra has been, since 1969, five of anything make a collection. I got this from an important American collector famous for her Chinese snuff bottles, and for her collection of Japanese woodblock prints. Her advice to collectors was NOT to leave anything to museums, but in the end her own collections went to the De Young Museum (San Francisco).
Questions to be answered before a new collector starts his/her search.
- Can you spend money on the areas you are interested in?
- How much time, if you are working, can you spend looking for material?
- How much storage space do you have?
- Are you prepared to spend money on archival storage?
- If you get bored with your collection(s), how will you dispose of them? (A skip is not an acceptable answer.)
This was originally published in the Ephemera Newsletter & What’s On #13 September 2021.
If you enjoyed this considering joining the Ephemera Society.